Can I File a Lawsuit for a Slip and Fall Accident in New Jersey?

Posted on May 30, 2020 at 4:52pm by
Picture of Slip and fall injury report

Slip and fall accidents can leave survivors with catastrophic injuries. Brain injuries, spinal cord injuries and broken bones can seriously impact a person’s quality of life. Catastrophic injuries also keep accident survivors from being able to work, often permanently. In the worst-case scenario, a slip and fall accident victim can lose his or her life

If you or a loved one suffered serious harm in a slip and fall accident, then you should know that it may be possible to seek compensation for your damages. New Jersey allows victims of negligence to file lawsuits to recover compensation. Depending on the circumstances, you may be able to file a premises liability lawsuit.

Premises Liability in New Jersey

Slip and fall claims fall under New Jersey premises liability law. This is where you file a lawsuit against a business or property owner for failing to remove or issue warnings about hazards. Businesses, such as casinos, are held to a higher standard of care than a personal property owner, such as a homeowner.

There are a couple of factors that are important for filing a premises liability claim in New Jersey. In most cases, you must have been on the property legally, meaning you were not trespassing. 

The status of the person injured on the property matters. Were they trespassing or invited onto the property? The age of the slip and fall victim could also factor into the case. In New Jersey, the rules are different for children who suffer injuries on property, as they lack the reasoning ability of adults. 

There are also cases where public entities may be responsible for damages caused by a slip and fall accident. Whether it would be possible to obtain compensation from the public entity depends on the circumstances. This is true of any premises liability claim in New Jersey. You should speak with an attorney to obtain a better understanding of whether it would be possible to file a lawsuit. 

Damages from a Slip and Fall Lawsuit

Slip and fall victims and their family members can suffer extensive damages. If the victim suffered a catastrophic injury, then the lifetime costs can be in the millions of dollars. 

For instance, a young C1 spinal cord injury victim can suffer lifetime medical costs and living expenses that exceed $4 million. Brain injuries also lead to extensive medical and living expenses, such as rehabilitation and home care services. Fortunately, a successful slip and fall claim can help you pay for these damages.

You should never wait to speak with a New Jersey personal injury attorney. With each passing moment, the chances of crucial evidence disappearing increases. A New Jersey personal injury attorney can help you preserve evidence.

There is also a statute of limitations for personal injury claims in New Jersey. Once you are beyond this statute of limitations in New Jersey, you may be unable to file a lawsuit.

Skilled attorneys can investigate and obtain available evidence, and then use that evidence to mount a successful personal injury lawsuit. Most personal injury cases settle, but this is not a guarantee. Some cases go to trial.

Businesses are likely to have access to financial and legal resources that can make it difficult to obtain compensation without an experienced attorney. This is especially true for very large businesses, such as casinos and amusement parks. If you or a loved one suffered harm from a slip and fall accident at a New Jersey business, then it is important to pick an attorney who has handled premises liability cases against businesses.

About the New Jersey Premises Liability Attorneys at Donald G. Targan & Associates

Our New Jersey premises liability attorneys have experience with cases involving negligent property owners. If you or a loved one suffered harm at a business or on personal property, we can help you determine whether it would be possible to file a lawsuit. You can read more about our successful verdicts and settlements on our website. For a free consultation, call (609)348-1106 or use our online case review form

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.