Can I Sue A City?

Posted on May 20, 2013 at 10:15am by

An Atlantic City Accident Lawyer Has Answers

A personal injury can happen at any time and any place. It is well known that you can pursue legal action due to the negligence of a private business, but sometimes injuries occur on public grounds and in government buildings. If you have been hurt due to a hazardous condition in a public space or in a government building, you may be wondering if it is possible to sue a city government.

The good news is that you can, in fact, pursue legal action against the government. However, if you intend to file a personal injury lawsuit against Atlantic City, or any other city in New Jersey, you will need an experienced Atlantic City accident attorney on your side.

What The Law Says

The New Jersey Tort Claims Act allows a person to sue the state or a city in situations where a policy or government employee caused an injury. Specifically, the law states:

“A public entity is liable for injury caused by a condition of its property

if the [person injured] establishes that the property was in dangerous condition

at the time of the injury and…a negligent or wrongful act…created the dangerous


Different people sue city governments for different reasons. Common types of lawsuits against city governments include:

  • Slip and falls due to poorly maintained sidewalks
  • Injuries sustained due to poorly lit streets
  • Construction accidents caused by poor regulation
  • Emotional distress caused by a public employee’s poor conduct
  • Injuries received due to the negligence of a government contractor
  • Car and bus accidents caused by a city employee

In some cases, it may only be necessary to take action against a single city employee. Other times, you may be suing an entire department, or a contractor that was working on the city’s behalf. In any case, it is essential to have an experienced and aggressive Atlantic City accident attorney on your side if you hope to get the compensation you need to pay for medical costs, rehabilitation treatments, loss of wages, and the pain and suffering you and your family may have endured.

Contact an Attorney to Learn More

Just like a corporation or an individual, government bodies can act with negligence, intentional or otherwise. When you sustain injuries or lose a loved one because another party acted without proper care, you deserve justice and compensation for your hardships. Contact an Atlantic City accident lawyer to find out if you have a potential case against the city, county, state or federal entity that played a role in your injury or loss.