Frequently Asked Questions about Atlantic City and New Jersey Personal Injury Law
Answered by an Atlantic City Negligence Attorney
- What can I do if I cannot afford a personal injury lawyer?
- How do I know if I have a personal injury case?
- What kinds of cases do you have experience with?
- What will you do if you cannot get a fair settlement from the insurance company?
- How long will my personal injury case take?
Medical bills after an accident can easily put a strain on a family’s finances, especially if you have car repair costs and cannot work. As a result, you may worry that you cannot pay for a lawyer’s service upfront. However, our personal injury attorneys accept the majority of our cases on a contingency fee basis. This means that you pay nothing upfront. Instead, we collect our fees from your settlement or verdict at the end of your claim. If your case is unsuccessful, you owe us nothing.
Back to Top
You may feel that you have suffered a hardship that is the fault of another. However, in most circumstances, it is not always clear if you have a personal injury case until you speak to an attorney. Reputable personal injury attorneys like those at our law firm can give you more information in a free consultation after hearing all the facts. You can ensure that the lawyer understands the whole case by bringing the following information with you to this first meeting, when applicable:
- Police reports.
- Medical records, including hospital bills and doctors’ reports.
- Information about medical insurance claims and payments relating to the accident.
- A record of how much work you missed.
- Photographs, notes and any other information about the accident.
- A calendar of events, including the accident, medical treatment and your healing process.
- All information about the at-fault party’s insurance, including any negotiations or claims already in process.
Before retaining an attorney, it is important to know whether he or she has experience with the kind of case you are filing. At Donald G. Targan & Associates, our lawyers have years of experience and success in the following areas:
- Automobile accidents
- Casino negligence, including elevator and escalator injuries
- Defective pharmaceuticals
- Child injuries
- Medical malpractice
- Premises liability
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Workers compensation claims and third party lawsuits
- Wrongful death
Most personal injury cases begin with an insurance claim. For example, if a car crash caused your injuries, you and your lawyer would first try to get compensation from the at-fault driver’s insurance provider. However, negotiations with insurance companies are often difficult, and you may not get a fair offer. When that happens, your best option is filing a personal injury lawsuit.
The attorneys at our firm never accept a low settlement just to avoid the courtroom, as some lawyers might. Instead, we follow every case through to the end. In fact, our two partners are Certified Trial Lawyers. If going to court is in your best interest, we will fight for your right to compensation before a judge and jury.
Back to Top
Every personal injury case is different. The time it will take to settle your claim depends largely on the kind of accident that caused your injuries, as well as how severely you were hurt. However, it may take months to resolve what may seem like a straightforward car insurance claim. If you and your lawyer decide to file a lawsuit, it may be years before you receive any compensation. In a free initial consultation, one of our personal injury attorneys can explain the process you will face, and we can give you advice on what to do until you get the compensation you deserve.
Back to Top