What Should I Do if I was Hurt on a Public Bus?

Posted on May 21, 2014 at 3:15pm by

When a bus driver makes a mistake and causes a serious car crash, who is to blame? Someone has to be accountable for the injuries and property damage that result, but victims often do not know what to do in this type of situation. Whether you were riding on a public bus that crashed, driving in another vehicle or walking nearby when the bus injured you, compensation should be available. You just need to find out how to get it.

How to Recover After a Bus Accident

If you get hurt in a crash involving a city bus, you can file a claim for your medical bills, lost wages and more. City buses are often quasi-governmental entities, so they toe the line between government and a private company. This can be more complicated than a lawsuit against a completely private organization, though, so acting quickly and having a lawyer on your side is particularly imperative.

Government agencies typically have a strict set of requirements for legal claims. For most public transportation claims in New Jersey, you must file within 90 days following the incident, and you should make your claim as soon as possible to avoid potential dismissal. The government has a specific form for claimants to fill out, wherein they state the exact amount of damages they wish to claim. When compiling this information, you must clearly establish that the driver failed to exercise reasonable care and prove that the driver’s breach of professional duty caused the accident and your injury. Include evidence that supports your case, including physician testimony.

The agency may then admit fault and pay the amount it owes you, but more commonly, it will either refute the amount of compensation or deny fault for the accident. You may attempt to negotiate with the agency, but a lawyer is prepared to handle situations like this. If all else fails, you may need to take the case to court to get the amount you should receive.

Finding an injury attorney to take your case is crucial. Not only will an attorney be able to tell you if you have a case at all, but if you do, he or she will be able to navigate the legal complexities of this type of lawsuit and make a compelling argument for your right to compensation.

I Need Help From an Injury Lawyer in New Jersey

When you are filing a lawsuit against the government, you need to find the right attorney to handle your case. Our attorneys have over 70 years of legal experience and attorney Donald G. Targan has received a prestigious AV rating from his peers through Martindale-Hubbell. For more information, and all you need to do is call our office to get free legal advice from an injury lawyer in Atlantic City.